While Connecticut is the known for video on demand software services and other industries, the state also has a rich history.
A little town in Connecticut, Wethersfield is located in Hartford County. The town is directly south of Hartford, parallel to the Connecticut River, also accessible by Interstate 91. According to numerous statistical records from the Colonial times, the name of the town was repeatedly spelled as ‘Weathersfield’, and the town was called ‘Pyquag’ by the Native American settlers.
“Ye Most Auncient Towne in Connecticut” is the Wethersfield’s motto and according to the general consensus report of 2010, the population of the town back then was 26,668. Old Wethersfield is the neighborhood of the town, which is also Connecticut’s largest historic district. The neighborhood spans more than 2 square miles, housing more than 1,100 buildings, whose construction and history can be traced back to the 17th, 18th and the 19th centuries.
Wethersfield was established in 1634 by the Puritan settlement group, which consisted of ’10 men’ and the Puritan group consisted of Nathaniel Foote, Robert Seeley and John Oldham. Wethersfield was declared as the oldest town in the state of Connecticut.
One Flag of Connecticut the town of Wethersfield, along with Hartford and Windsor, is represented with one grapevine out of three others dedicated to the above mentioned towns. The three grapevines are a symbolism of three of the oldest Connecticut settlements.
In 1637, during the Pequot War, Wethersfield was attacked by the combined forces of the Wongunk and Pequot, led by the chief of the Wongunk, Sequin. Together, they killed over 6 men and 3 women, robbed and killed farm animals (cattle and horses), and kidnapped 3 girls from the town. The girls were all daughters William Swaine and at some places it was quoted that they were the daughters of Abraham Swain. The girls were then ransomed by a couple of Dutch traders.
During the 17th century, there were four Wethersfield witch trials that transpired. Mary Johnson was found guilty of witchcraft and in 1648 was executed. Two other suspects, Joan and Joan Carrington were found guilty of witchcraft and were executed in 3 years later in 1651.
The fourth victim of the trials was Katherine Harrison, who was convicted, but her trial was reversed and instead of being executed, Harrison was banished from Wethersfield and had to forcefully forfeit her property to her neighbors.
The commissioner to France during the American Revolutionary War, Silas Deane also made Wethersfield his home. Today Silas’ house has now been added to the Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum. During the May of 1781, General George Washington along with Lt. General Rochambeau formed a meeting to strategically plan a swift takeover of Yorktown. They made the Webb House located on Main Street their base of operations. The siege was a significant part of the efforts made free colonies from independent rule by rebellious groups.
Wethersfield is home to the Connecticut Department of Correction as well as the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Both these establishment are headquartered here.
The schooling system in Wethersfield constitutes two middle schools, named Wethersfield High School and Silas Deane Middle school to five other elementary schools named:
Charles Wright School
Alfred W. Hanmer School,
Samuel B. Webb School